Hampton & Richmond went the distance to secure another vital point at league leaders Yeovil. There was nothing to separate the sides, as it ended 0-0 at Huish Park.

From the off, Jake Wannell and Morgan Williams were looking to clip balls over the top of Luis Fernandez and Sam Dreyer, making his second start after joining on loan from Peterborough. Rhys Murphy was the designated runner for the hosts, able to beat the offside trap on several occasions but not able to secure the ball.

A good breakaway for the Beavers after six minutes, led by Jake Gray, produced our first shots, with Gray having his attempt palmed away by Joe Day, falling to Rob Hall, whose effort was blocked.

Moments later, Yeovil were up the other end. Murphy had the ball unmarked in the six yard box, forcing a phenomenal low save by Adam Desbois. 

The game finally began to settle after twelve minutes, with both teams looking comfortable on the ball, patiently building up and looking for the killer pass. A dangerous cross from Jay Foulston after 20 minutes got the crowd back on side as Dreyer poked it out for a corner, but the hosts were unable to capitalise on the corner.

The game settled once again, with Desbois having to tip over a well taken corner, and Day having little to do in the other box. Jake Gray from great range nearly caught out the Yeovil shot-stopper in the 35th minute with a low shot.

Frank Nouble had a great chance with ten minutes of the first half to go, breaking from his man out-wide and sending his shot past the far post from an angle.

The start of the second period saw Yeovil reassume control of the ball, but once again Hampton & Richmond posed a threat on the break, Ruaridh Donaldson forcing a strong save from Day. The following 15 minutes produced little in the way of chances for either side, but it still felt like there were goals to come.

Mason Bloomfield came on for Rob Hall with just under half an hour to play, and the striker instantly earned a free-kick to break up some Yeovil pressure. A daring cross from deep by Foulston nearly produced the opener, with substitute Alex Fisher unable to get a touch in the six yard box.

At the other end, an awkward deflection from Bloomfield’s shot forced the ball out for a corner, which was cleared. Ben Seymour picked up Hampton & Richmond’s first yellow after a tough challenge on a Yeovil defender.

Mason Bloomfield looked electric in attack, forcing his way past several green shirts before earning another corner for the Beavers, a later cross from Gray was met by the striker but it could not be directed goalbound.

With five minutes to go, it was Hampton & Richmond in the ascendency, George Hunt making way for Shane Dunne. 

A late Yeovil free-kick saw Nouble head well over.

Previous post
Next post